Tuesday, June 22, 2010

vfw

there is a tank parked in front of the e-burg vfw.

when i was a kid, it freaked me out. i’m not sure that i really knew what exactly a tank was as a 4 year old, but i knew it was scary. i probably asked one of my parents who told me about them and what they do. they probably also mentioned that the tank parked there wasn’t a threat to my safety, it was merely a lawn ornament.

i do not frequent the vfw. actually, i’ve never been there before, period. for one, i am not a veteran, so i’m not really sure i’m allowed inside. also i am not male, and i’m younger than 40. fourth, i don’t frequent many of the burg’s hottest attractions- mostly because they, infact, scare me. the lack of windows and general (lack of) upkeep give me a pretty decent idea what’s inside. now i could be surprised, but i’m thinking it might not be up to my high standards of cleanliness and breathability. but the vfw is on a well-driven road “into village” (i would say “into town” but the burg is not big enough to be called one of those quite yet) and you really can’t miss it. and despite the fact that the tank is surrounded by shrubbery, covered in lights, and has not carried a single soldier or weapon since long before my birth, it still struck fear into my little heart.

frankly, i’ve always wondered how it got there. did they drive it there from some port (down the toll road or us12)? did it come by truck? who had the honor of parking it there? how did the e-burg vfw get it, as apposed to a larger, more illustrious vfw elsewhere in the state or country? and most importantly: could it be hijacked and driven menacingly through our village (think tiananmen square minus the communism part with emphasis on running people down)?

and i wondered if, as an adult, having been away for some time, the tank would still strike terror into my heart.

it does.

in the month i’ve been home i’ve had to drive past the vfw 3+ times a week. and every time i pass i can’t help myself. i have to look. and shudder. and drive faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment