Wednesday, January 21, 2009

planes

so yesterday i went over to my new town to talk with my new manager at my new job. after the meeting i got a jamba juice for lunch and walked around a bookstore. then i hopped on another bus to go back towards home.

i guess every other time i’ve been over that way i’ve been on the wrong side of the bus or just not paying attention, because i never noticed that the airport is right there on the one side of the highway.

every time i’ve ever traveled anywhere, it’s been on a two-way ticket. regardless of whether i wanted to leave or not, there was always that ticket in my pocket forcing me to go. so on these trips, i was always counting down. planes were a reminder that in a few days or weeks i’d be leaving.

for many years, i’ve slept with the blinds in my windows rolled all the way up, so i could look out into the sky as i lay in bed. i would watch the planes blink-blink-blink across the sky, wondering where they’d come from and where they were going. sometimes i was envious- they were going and coming and i was laying still.

so when i saw the planes at the airport i instinctively thought, i need to count down and figure out how much time i have left here.

and then it hit me.

i bought a one-way ticket.

and i sighed this sigh of relief. because i’m not very sure that i want to leave any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment