Tuesday, June 23, 2009

growth


i started a garden.

i figured it was as little commitment as possible, while still supporting something living (the other options were acquiring a pet and/or child- neither of these options sounded particularly attractive). i have no idea why i decided i needed to support something living, except to keep myself from turning into a totally-self-serving jerk while living alone (my roommate and i have very different schedules, so we actually don’t see each other very often).

when i moved to my current residence, i noticed that there was a garden area in front of the apartment. my roommate (and probably her prior roommate) had tried their hand at gardening; i felt the call and challenge to give it a try myself.

i grew up on a corn-and-bean farm. farming has been the profession of choice on both sides of my family. hypothetically, the skills are in my blood.

in the same strip mall as my old navy is a lowe’s. so one day after work i went to lowe’s, threw down $3, and left with corn and green bean seeds as well as a pepper plant.

that very night, i put some dirt (i dug it out of the garden with a spoon) in some tupperware containers and planted my seeds. a few days later, when i had time, i cultivated (proper farming terminology) a swath of ground and planted my seedlings.

and they grew. i am quite certain i am the only resident of my apartment complex to have corn growing in their patch-‘o-ground.

and for the record, it is not field corn or seed corn, it is sweet corn. i decided that (a) delay planting male rows wasn’t exactly going to fit into my work schedule and (b) i really had no desire to go out trying to find illegal immigrants to do my detasseling. thus, sweet corn was deemed best option. and i can eat it myself, as apposed to feeding it to a cow. i don’t think we are allowed farm animals in this gated community.

the most recent newsflash in kelsey’s garden world is that i have constructed bean poles out of cheap chopsticks and busted hair ties. innovation at it’s best. the beans are starting to flower, as is the pepper plant, which means that soon, i should be harvesting the fruits of my labor.


No comments:

Post a Comment