Monday, March 23, 2009

this is the way i live

i was riding my bike today (camera in hand) and decided you all deserve an insider's peek into the way i live. so i somewhat informally photo-documented some random (but vitally important) aspects of my life.

first (because it's necessary for life) is my choice of food:
in this picture we can see what's left of the 8 1-pound packages of spaghetti noodles i bought at cotsco back in january. we also have my stockpile of granola bars that i got for basically nothing at target. and of course, my jar of alfredo sauce. i boil some noodles, cook some broccoli, pour the sauce over everything and indulge at least a few times a month.
on this shelf, we see the super-sized jar of prego. i eat spaghetti at least once a week. then we have the on-sale cereals i've purchased recently: cherrios, kix and crispex. there's also some pancake mix, popcorn, instant rice, cheese-its and canned peaches (one of the few canned things that i love) plus some green tea.
of vital importance (but not as important eating) is footwear:
i have labeled the shoes- as you can see, the slippers in my possession (blue) clearly outnumber rosa's (pink). you will also notice that the ones worn most frequently are not put away. rosa tends to use the other door :). also, it is hawaiian tradition that you leave all your shoes out by the door. no one ever, under any condition, wears them inside. (fact is: you're not going to die of cold and your shoes won't be filled with snow if you take them off outside! worst that will happen is for a gecko to crawl in.)
views are nice:
if i ride my bike down the street a ways, this is my view:
and this is my view of the mountains from the backyard:
it is always good to have some transportation to get you from point a to point b:
here is a picture i stole from google showing thebus. what's great about thebus is that i don't have to drive! i can read, listen to my ipod, sleep, whatever... and someone else will drive (and pay for gas, insurance, etc)! all for $40 a month. you really can't beat it.
when you fly into honolulu international airport and you are landing, look down. if you see row upon row of houses, chances are, you are flying over my neighborhood! fortunately, some smart person somewhere mandated that the jets don't fly over at night. but seriously, after a few days, you don't hear the planes anymore.
my $70 craig's list bike. it takes me to the grocery store, library, basically anywhere close and not eastward down the dreaded ft. weaver road :).
i have some great friends who have helped me build my giraffe collection:
 this is craig, jr (who i mentioned in my previous post) from heather g:
and this is kamehameha who hether g (yep, i have two friends named he(a)ther g, but you will observe the spelling differences) sent to me:
and, because i totally believe in saving the best for last:
here's a picture with me and my beloved container of raisins. rosa is in awe of how many raisins i eat. truthfully, raisins are one of the few foods i crave. literally on a daily basis, infact...

so there you have it. the small aspects of my hawaiian life that make me tick.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you are eating and that you have good transportation.
    You might get your mother to post some photos of the kids one day. ha
    Are you loving it there? It sounds like you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete